Monday, January 16, 2012

Radical Self Love - Resolution 2012

Being the new year and all, I've been debating on whether or not to make a resolution.  I don't usually even bother.  They are typically something superficial and something that I am just going to forget about or stop caring about a few weeks in.  This being my 25th year on this planet, I decided if I am going to do a resolution, it's gotta be something good.  Something big.  Something that will make a big enough difference in my life to change me.  Make me a better person.  


I was perusing my new favorite website here.  One of the articles mentioned how much they love galadarling.  I clicked on the link and started browsing.  This girl, Gala Darling, is pretty freaking rad.  She is a complete individual and is an expert in what she has deemed "radical self love."  She blogs, she helps, she inspires.  So, perusing her website, I came across her Radical Self-Love Manifesto.  I decided to make it my resolution for 2012.  It's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

So I decided that I would start working on each of these things, a day at a time, a week at a time, a month at a time.  It's a difficult thing, trying to truly love yourself.  No matter what we tell ourselves, there is always something that you wish you were better at, wish was different or wish you could change.  That is what this year is going to be about for me.  Trying to get myself to that point where I am perfectly happy with who I am and where I am.  Where I set goals for myself that I can and will achieve and be able to be proud of my accomplishments.

So what am I going to work on this week??  Number one.  Strive to always be thankful and optimistic.  I find myself everyday being blessed beyond belief.  I just struggle to recognized these blessings everyday because I tend to let them be overshadowed by anything bad that has happened.  So, each day this week, it is my goal to make a list of the good. The things I should be thankful for.  

TODAY I am grateful for:
-An amazing job.  Am I stressed 90% of the time?  Absolutely.  Is everyday perfect? No.  But I have a full-time job in an economy where people struggle everyday to find a job and to make ends meet.  I don't have to worry about that.  
-A pretty awesome boss.  She never fails to make sure that I feel appreciated and doesn't hesitate to give me whatever I need to keep me there, or to make my job easier.  I have never worked somewhere where I have felt like the work I does matters, that I am valuable and that I can't be replaced.  She does all that and more.  It's pretty awesome.
-Good friends.  2011 was the year that tried friendships, that changed the way I looked at people and showed me who will really be there for you when all hell breaks loose.  I sincerely appreciate the friendships that were strengthened and even the ones that fizzled out and disappointed me.  I appreciate the lessons learned.
-My family.  Far and near, they are the greatest thing in my life.  They always want what is best for me and push me to be the best person that I can be.  They may not always agree with the choices that I make in life, but they love me regardless and never fail to show it.  They make me laugh and remind me that I always have someone, even when I feel alone.

There you have it.  Grateful.  And happier for it.

0 comments: